Wednesday, January 9, 2013

During the past several weeks in ROGATE we've been learning about teen culture.  I had an easy time understanding this topic being a teen myself.  The unit involves things like music, TV shows, movies, celebrities, etc.  Before really researching the topic asking me whether advertising reflects or influences teen culture I'd be pretty unsure but now if you ask me, I'd have a better idea. I'd say a little bit of both but I think advertising mostly reflects teen culture. My reasoning for this is that a trend has to start somewhere and with out the media, it wouldn't take off (or at least take of as quickly. It could take years and years for it to catch on) but with advertisements everywhere, people are sure to find out and quickly, at that.

The first article I read was a pretty general overview of teen culture.  Some things it mentions is natural changes because clearly they exist as time goes on but it also mentions non-natural changes meaning the changes that is caused by the pressure and things you see (TV, advertisements, social networking, etc.).  Also  when ever you see something new and exciting out on the market, you feel the need to buy it.  Many people do this when they see advertisments for new clothing brands, gadgets or makeup.

The next article was my favorite. It focused in on girls and wanting and needing to be perfect. It also talked about eating disorders and gave many facts and statistics for example today's fashion models weigh 23% less than the average female.  This really shows people that being that thin is unrealistic.  There are too many girls today that ignore the risk of eating disorders just to look "good".

In times like today, it's hard to 'stay true to yourself' because society as a whole has a definition of perfection. Every girl looks at that and thinks "I have to be like her" but really, being different and unique makes you who you are and you shouldn't change that.

No comments:

Post a Comment